Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sensory Table Makeover

Since the Bug started moving, he hasn't been nearly as interested in his sensory bin or really anything that means sitting still so I found a picture on Pinterest of a box like ours inside a wooden holder to keep it off the ground so I convinced Daddy that the Bug needed one and it was done by the time nap time ended!
We used the same box and measured it as well as how tall the Bug could use it comfortably before we began then cut the pieces and put it together. Because this can differ greatly box to box and child to child, I don't have real directions but there are two 2x4's underneath to hold the box and everything is cut at angles.

I painted it red (I have an insane number of Home Depot samples in colors no one should ever use for a room) and it has become one of the Bug's favorite spots again! Sand and spice shakers were a hit though I'm glad he doesn't know how to unscrew the caps yet because any sand in the shakers ended up on the floor...

To celebrate fall, oats, cinnamon, and apples! The Bug loved this bin a lot- I think adding sense of smell helped!

We are still very careful to keep our sensory bins "edible" though I still discourage eating anything. The Bug is only 10 months so he SHOULD be trying to eat things (it actually more worrisome when kids don't try to eat everything at this age!) Some other ideas for baby safe sensory bins are:

*cooked spaghetti
*dry rice or pasta (this makes some nervous but rarely does my very mouthy child eat much. I also use vinegar and food coloring if I dye pasta at all)
*cool whip 
*play sand (hardware stores sell PLAY sand, be careful with non play sand!)
*oats or other cereals (we like Kix and cheerios)
*water or ice

Check out Fun At Home With Kids with lots more baby safe sensory play recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment