Sunday, May 24, 2015

Eating Cleaner

So this is a bit out of the ordinary for me but I've been STRUGGLING with finding a balance of not forcing the Bug to eat but getting healthy foods into his mouth...

I joined Fit4Mom in my town last year when the Bug was about 8 weeks old thanks to an old friend who participated at the one near her house. I don't think I'll ever be "fit" enough to be an instructor but I have taken over the planning of playdates and Mom's Nights (because its so much more than just an exercise class) from the owner of the franchise I belong to and I keep finding MORE things I loves about the whole program!

For classes near you go to http://fit4mom.com!

Anyway, food. I know that processed junk is bad and whole foods are good. I get it but I can't make the best choices so the Bug doesn't always make the best choices. I'm working on this in multiple ways but one you can try at home is a snack box! I discovered it searching Pinterest and it's so cool!

You give your child breakfast. Then from after breakfast until dinner, they have one "snack box" with healthy options to choose from. Then they have dinner with you!

We haven't had much time to get going and try new things but I'm feeling positive!

Here are some of our favorite recipes to make at home that aren't quite as processed...

Granola!
http://www.chachingqueen.com/homemade-granola-recipe-yummy-money-saver/
Ingredients:
  • 5 cups rolled oats (not the instant kind)
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
  • In a large bowl stir oats, brown sugar, and salt.
  • In a small bowl mix the oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
  • Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients in the large bowl.  Mix well.  I use my hands for this.
  • Spread mixture on two baking sheets (lined with foil if you want).
  • Bake for 15 minutes and mix the granola.  Then, place back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so until the granola is just barely golden brown.
  • Remove the sheets from the oven and mix the granola again.
  • Place the granola in jars or airtight containers once it is completely cool.
I follow her recipe as it is written for the most part because it's not a high sugar recipe. I do replace the vegetable oil with melted coconut oil and you could always replace the brown sugar with stevia.

Graham Crackers!

INGREDIENTS
  • 2½ cups whole wheat flour or other baking flour
    • (the original recipe called for half all purpose but I used oat flour, almond flour, and whole wheat flour without a problem so feel free to play around!)
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed 
    • (I cut this in half from the original recipe without issue)
  • pinch salt (we avoid more than a pinch army house)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ cup butter, chilled & cubed
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • optional: 1 tablespoon wheat germ or flax seed (we added flax seed YUM)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a food processor or mixer combine the first 6 ingredients. (If using wheat germ or flax seed add here.)
  3. Add cubed and chilled butter to the mix and pulse/mix until it resembles coarse meal.
  4. Add honey, water and vanilla and continue to mix until it all combines.
  5. Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of wax or parchment paper. (I found it easier to roll the dough w/o a sheet on top of the dough.)
  6. Roll dough out until ¼ inch thick. Cut into crackers or shapes. Combine the dough scraps and roll out again to cut more shapes.
  7. Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes.
  8. Cool and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment