Thursday, August 14, 2014

Creating a Space for Baby

Babies take over. They come in perfectly content to look at things around them but we have all these toys that someone thought were cute!



We are lucky to have a house with space but the Family Room doesn't quite lend itself to becoming an all out playroom unless we want to never use the porch or fireplace so, I set out to create a space for the Bug to be able to play.

I wanted shelves but the Husband said with our baseboard heaters, shelves would block the heat come winter. I wanted something the Bug could crawl up to and see his toys. I wanted to not spend a ton of money.

I looked around and discovered a number of diaper boxes flooding the house. I grabbed 3 yards of fabric (I went light and solid but you can go crazy if you want!) and covered diaper boxes. I turned them onto their sides and FLOOR SHELVES! 
I wrapped the boxes like a present covering all 4 sides and the bottom in the hopes that if they are not destroyed, these can transition to toy boxes (as opposed to shelves) as the Bug grows.
I tried out adding accent fabric around the top and while I like the look, it is unnecessary at this stage since it won't be seen under the toys...
The baskets are from Target and the giant foam mats are from Lowes.





I can rearrange them, replace them, and they're the perfect size for the Bug's toys! In fact, since their introduction 2 months ago, I have rearranged several times (including making baskets to put in other rooms so not all his toys are in one place- another day!) and making it more "mobile Bug" friendly!


Here's the Bug's area (after a cleanup and nighttime...) I have little areas within his bigger area but that's a post for another time... The puzzle mats are from Lowe's and the baskets are from Target!

No comments:

Post a Comment