Monday, August 4, 2014

Traveling with a Baby

So before the Bug was 6 months we had gone on 3 longer than an hour car trips and flown on a plane (the plane was without Hubby...) 

Car trips are easier- you can take more, stop when you need, and have a lot more flexibility so even the 8 hour drive we took was easier than flying for me!

Car Trip Suggestions:

1. If you're breastfeeding, plan to pump and have a bottle so if you get stuck in traffic you can calm a screaming baby.

2. Ride in the back seat! We pushed the passenger seat all the way forward so I had tons of space.

3. Take the changing pad! We stuck it on the other seat in the back and the Bug had an instant car changing space. It was so much nicer than rest stop bathrooms (I grew up in the Southeast and there aren't rest areas like in the Northeast so it is WAY better than gas stations or fast food bathrooms!!!) It also gives you a place to put the baby down not in the carseat where they can stretch.

4. Take a few toys/books because while the Bug generally slept in the car, there were times where he didn't and it was nice to have a few things for him to look at!


Flying Suggestions:

1. If you are visiting someone, see if they can borrow/buy items to reduce what you have to travel with. We got VERY lucky as we were going to see my mom and one of her fellow teachers still has baby stuff from her now toddler so she let my mom borrow a carseat, pack n play, high chair, and play mat! My mom bought diapers and wipes for the Bug, another friend had an extra stroller, and we didn't need anything but clothes and his favorite toys!

2. If you're by yourself, check your luggage. It's so hard to get settled even getting to pre-board (we have priority boarding with some airlines so we board before families anyway.) that not having to deal with bags was major for me. I know airlines charge but the $25-35 is worth it!

3. Babywear! I didn't have to take him off going through security, they just wiped a wand on my hands to check for residues. He was still small enough that taking him off would have been a pain so I was thankful for this!!!
4. Get the seat YOU prefer! Everything I read said to get a window seat but I am 6'1" and love aisle seats for the leg room. I did have a seat mate who needed to pee and it woke up the Bug but I was much more comfortable then I would have been in the window seat!

5. Take anything you need on the plane and check the rest! We took a few small toys (the list is below) and a few of his favorite books. I took my Nook and snacks and might have looked at my Nook once. I also took a bottle despite breastfeeding because it was much easier to give him a bottle in certain situations (I have not perfected feeding while wearing.) plus the Bug will take cold bottles so I could take it frozen and let it defrost during the trip.

6. Use the stuff in the setback pocket! The Bug loved flipping through (and eating) the magazines and was mildly amused by the barf bag hand puppet!

The toys and books we took:

Indestructibles- these books are AMAZING! Not only do they have pretty pictures (and no words so I can say anything I think of!) They are chewable, machine and dishwasher safe, and just perfect for travel! They're thin so the take up about 3 sheets of paper worth of space!

Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton and Look Look! were also in our bag. Sandra Boynton is one of our family's top choices for baby board books and Look Look! was given to us by a friend. It's black and white with splashes of red so the contrast is great for babies!


These links by have been wonderful for teething, shaking, and basically are a staple in our diaper bag! The Bug also loves this zebra which has things for multiple senses (but I have read some less appealing articles lately and am taking a more "green" approach to the Bug's future toys...) 

We also took finger puppets which are now a HUGE hit! I can sing songs, tell stories, and the Bug can chew on them. Plus, like the Indestructibles, they take up very little space!


No comments:

Post a Comment